Kern Fan Groundwater Storage Project

Applicant Irvine Ranch Water District/Rosedale-Rio Bravo Water Storage District
Status MCED Issued
Project Type Groundwater Storage
Public Benefits Ecosystem Improvements, Emergency Response
Total Project Cost $171,000,000
Maximum Conditional Eligibility Determination (MCED) $67,537,315
Early Funding None Requested

Projected Timeline

Kern Fan Projected Timeline

 

 Kern Fan Groundwater Storage Project Map 
 
The Kern Fan Groundwater Storage Project (Kern Fan Project) would develop a regional water bank in the Kern Fan area to recharge and store in the Kern County Groundwater Sub-basin of the San Joaquin Valley Groundwater Basin up to 100 thousand acre-feet (TAF) of unallocated Article 21 water available from the State Water Project (SWP) operation. Recovery and use of the stored water would provide public and non-public benefits. 
The Kern Fan Project provides groundwater storage and would be operated so that in wet years, the project partners, Irvine Ranch Water District (IRWD) and Rosedale-Rio Bravo Water Storage District (Rosedale), would divert unallocated SWP Article 21 supplies for storage in the Kern Fan Project. IRWD and Rosedale would share first priority rights to 75 percent of the stored water for water supply purposes. The remaining 25 percent of the stored water would be available to support ecosystem benefits. This 25 percent of the water would be used to provide short-term ecosystem pulse flows from Lake Oroville in exchange of the same amount of water extracted from the groundwater storage that would be used as Table A water.

Quarterly Reports

Technical Review and Related Documents